Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:22:44 PM

Author Topic: Tormach CNC Scan.  (Read 13204 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Tormach CNC Scan.
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
Has anyone tried the Tormach CNC Scan plugin and what kind of results did you get please ?.

http://www.tormach.com/blog/?p=1038

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Tormach CNC Scan.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
I saw a conversation that started over on the ZONE about this and found it very interesting.

Looking forward to hearing more about this-
Dave
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:59:08 PM by budman68 »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
There was an artilce in Digital Machinist about it.
Basicaly you use your camera to scan the object and then it puts it together so you have a composite
picture of the scan. ( Folks have been doing this for a rather long time with telescopes to get pictures of  stars and planets
via freeware. Now the scan software, if purchased, will then allow you to draw over the scan and you can save it as a DXF file.
I think i got it right.... ???

Interesting on the scan part of it.

I can take a high resolution picture, do the same with CAD ( which i have done for many projects)
and be done quicker.  ;) A different way would be to use "Copycat" and the gcode is done and post to Mach to cut the piece.  ;) There is a manual done for CopyCat  in Members Docs.  :o You can also backplot a gcode and get a drawing.

So, i quess there is a another tool out there, but i don't need to spend money to get the same results.

Hmm......Am I being negative, missinformed, or cheap?
Heck, you decide...i just report..... ;D

RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
Have you actually watched the video Rich? Pretty interesting.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Dave,
Just watched the video and yes it was interesting, and seems nice , but i can do the same as i replied and not cost me almost a grand!
What can i say........... ;)
How do you think i was able to get the timing indexes for the magnum???????

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13398.0;attach=21768;image

RICH
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
I just purchase the Tormach CNC Scanner, the result is excellent! this is great for really small mill and to get the accuracy, most camera will give you a distortion and not get a direct shot where with the scanner you will get a series of telecentric shots meshed together to form a larger image to work with. The only problem is that when opening the scanner through the plugin as directed, it disconnects the PC to from the Mill and you would have to go back out and restart the process. I hope some has found a bug for this...other than that when it does go through the whole process, the results are great.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
kunekame,
Glad your satisfied with your purchase. Post your experiences as you use it.
DId you buy the software or just the camera?

RICH
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
@ Rich, I only purchase the software....it comes with a Dongle for saving and exporting dfx files, there is a shareware version for download which i tried out first. Im using a dino-lite microscope camera, i also tried using my web cam and wasnt too bad but i can really get closer with my dino-lite cam. What i did first with the shareware was doing a screen capture and taking that image into my cad program but having the license version is just little easier with the dfx export, the software come with a generic cad program.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
Hi from europe, I locked at it also  is there a posibilitie to copy the software ??????

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
If your asking about obtaining software illegally, we do not condone piracy here.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."