Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:33:51 PM

Author Topic: HELP...One more driver installation problem  (Read 20782 times)

HELP...One more driver installation problem
« on: December 30, 2009, 01:13:05 AM »
 ???  I am having one heck of a time getting a computer to work with Mach 3.

First let me give you a little history. I am using Mach3 to control a Gecko G540 mill. I had a couple of CPU's sitting around doing nothing, so I decided to use them. Both are P4 processors @ 3gigs+. Unfortunately, neither has a parallel port on the motherboard. So...I bought my first PCI parallel port card... then my second... finally my third. I installed each card on each PC along with Mach3. Everytime, I was able to get excellent driver test results. The problem was that I never was able to get any output signals thru the parallel ports to the G540. I have addressed the ports properly according to the device manager and was always able to get the estop to function. However, when I tried to configure the charge pump, spindle and coolant outputs, I never could get them to work. A common problem seems to be that these cards cannot function in the EPP mode which is necessary for the G540 to work.

Anyhow, after many hours of frustration, I decided to try another CPU with an on board parallel port. Installed Mach3, configured the port to EPP in the BIOS, then got the dreaded "No Driver sensed installed. Run Driver Test" Tried to uninstall the parallel port driver and install both the original and special drivers, but still continue to get the message. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Mach3 several times with no luck. I am coming to my wits end. Does anyone have a suggestion on more things to try to get any one of these setups to work? I am thinking that installing the driver will be the simpleist, but am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance
Re: HELP...One more driver installation problem
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:55:40 AM »
OK...A little more information. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice since the previos post, from new downloads from this site. Continue getting the no driver installed comment each time. After the last install. I went to the Mach3 directory and double clicked on the original driver icon in hopes that it would load the driver. The dos screen came up with the following:

C:\Mach3>del   mach3.sys

C:\Mach3>copy mach3.orig mach3.sys
The system cannot find the file specified

C:\Mach3>REM.exe *Mach3

C:\Mach3>IN.exe  .|Mach3.inf *Mach3

Also, a comment box pops up that states the following:

"This file 'Mach3.sys' on (Unknown) is needed"
Then it asks for the pathway where the file is located. That's all great, but I have no idea where this file is located. Anyone can help me out???

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:15:10 AM »
Hi, Ronncat

Have you ever had your mill operating with any computer ever. ?

Could be you don't have a true parallel port  extender cable or it's missing a Gnd Pin, Not all cards and cables use the same pin numbers 18 to 25 are Gnd.pins.

Use an ohm meter to check the cable pin 1-1 2-2 3-3 ........25-25, If not you may have a 25 pin serial cable.

Chip

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:53:28 AM by Chip »
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:32:49 AM »
Wow..Thanks for the quick reply. I am still in the build stage for my mill.  I have tested the parallel cable for continuity and have verified that it is a straight through.  Spoke with Mariss at GeckoDrive at length about my problems. He told me that controlling the motors with the Gecko G540 via Mach3 would work (and I verified this). but that if the charge pump light was not working then the "extra" features on the Gecko, ie. spindle and coolant outputs and VFD would not be functional either) Therefore it was assumed that the PCI parallel port cards were not functioning in a true EPP mode. Looked on the website for MosChip and their FAQ's stated that a PCI based parallel port might or might not work in the EPP mode in any certain system...unfortunately, I have the systems that don't work properly.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »
Mach3.sys is located in the Mach folder.

On re-installing Mach....... after you have un-installed Mach check 'control panel, add remove programs' and remove any Mach programs there, then from 'windows explorer' remove any Mach files and folders etc, then re-install Mach. This way you should get a clean install complete with the driver.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:52:52 AM »
Also if you have not done so already download again just in case its corrupt.
Hood

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
Ronncat

when you install the PP card , did you try to install the card in the last PCI slot. or the the PCI slot that is the longest
distance away from the CPU. the first and second slots usually have a video preferance.

bill
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Here is where I am at this point....Frustrated...

Last night I had a nice talk with Chip, but we were unsuccessful in loading the driver. I uninstalled Mach completely, and downloaded it again from this site. (a few times) Every time I reinstall the software, everything loads fine until I hit the next button for the install parallel port driver. Then the system hangs and I get the "Driver not sensed installed" message. I have gone into the directory and double clicked on both the original and special driver icons with no success. (see previous post) I have uninstalled the driver in the device manager and tried to point the reinstall to c:\Mach3 so it can find the Mach3.sys file, but again, no luck. Starting to run in circles in a dense fog. Don't quite know what to try next. Any Suggestions?

Bill: Card is installed in the 3rd slot in one CPU and the furthest slot in another. Also I am now trying to do the install on another computer that has a motherboard PP

Tweakie: that's exactly what I have done...multiple times

Hood: Yes have tried new downloads. The previous  one I could not find the Mach3.sys file. This time I did
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
Didn't see it mentioned, but did you do the Vital re-boot at first install ?
Just grasping at straws........
RC
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »
Yes, I did