Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 08:52:45 AM

Author Topic: M1 MILLING MODEL  (Read 14656 times)

Re: M1 MILLING MODEL
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Rich, that does look great. Did you do the castings yourself, and what is the material?
Have you seen the miniture machine shop set-up at the Henry Ford Museum? Yours would fit right in.

I partial to the 629 (Go ahead, make my day, Punk!) 8)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
Jammerm,
The castings come as part of the kit when purchased and is Al. Frankly, I think if they sold the plans, it would be easier to make a lot of the parts out of a chunk of metal.
Never saw the miniture machine shop at the Henry Ford Museum. Go to some of the shows and you see a lot of them though.

Yep, i also am partial to the 44's and good grief had a bunch of them at one time until i decided i couldn't use them all at once. The burgler did me a favor!

I'll take a look at how much it can be scaled down before it won't be functional ( parts just become to fragile ) and was thinking  around 1/4 or 1/5 size or so.

RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 12:22:23 AM »
Panaceabeachbum has a show and tell post of some of the scaled firearms he has done. He might be a wealth of knowledge if you have any questions, Rich. Some of his stuff is  :o  :o  :o  :o
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »
Sam,
Thanks for the info, forgot about his thread and they do some realy good stuff. Most of it is not miniture though.
Another project option would be a small surveyors theodolite,  i started one, but.......working optics, good grief.........
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »
Looks like i made this years task since the model join's the other ones in a case.
Just a few minor pieces to be made.
RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
They look so beautiful. It's so tempting to touch them and rotate the handwheels :)

Daniel

P.S.
Do the cases come with the kits?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 11:06:52 AM »
No the cases were purchased. I happen to come across a sale on them and bought six cases.
Don't know if I'll ever fill them all.

Sizing up the next project. This one is going to take some time over time ( won't be done in the next year ). I will quess that it will take 200 hours for the proto type. The scale dosen't seem too bad.

Lettering will be around .020" high. This is were CNC is realy going to come into play even though there will be a lot of hand work required. Will be using the engraving machine to do a lot of the work as it is a very accurate
machine and i can hold close tolerances. Hopefull won't have to make too many special milling cutters.

First thing will be to totaly measure and draw the revolver to scale. CopyCat will be used to get all the contours.  We'll see..........making little bullets sounds like fun. Probably end up with two of them as
the proto will be made out of Al. The grooves for the scope mount will be done. Now a function scope in that size ........good grief i hate optics!

Here is a few pics,
RICH

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Rich ,

Why scale down ? I'd scale up and make bigger bangs.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
Ed, Ed, Ed........................  ;D

It looks very good Rich.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »
Why scale down ? I'd scale up and make bigger bangs.
:D :D :D
Good one Ed!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."