Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 01:40:10 PM

Author Topic: Galil & Mach 3 spindle speed control  (Read 7334 times)

Galil & Mach 3 spindle speed control
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »
I bought a retrofitted bridgeport from a company that went bankrupt before the retrofit was complete. The machine is about 95% set up ( I've taken chips ), and I'm fortunate enough to have help from forum member Roo Trimble, who was one of two principle people who did the retrofit ( Roo's been very helpful). If I happen to sound like I haven't a clue, it's because I haven't a clue: My introduction to modern CNC is through this machine, which I bought already set up ( the last time I ran CNC equipment was on a BOSS machine, entering g code line by line). That being said, please use small words. Here's my question of the moment:

The machine has a galil (2134) and Mach 3. I updated to the most recent plugin for the galil, and the most recent version of mach 3. With Roo's help, we got the machine working fine with the plugin, with one exception: If the spindle speed is set to zero in mach 3, the spindle will run at the speed set in the galil control (I have a VFD for the spindle). With the old plugin, changing the spindle speed in Mach 3 did nothing - I'd have to open the software for the galil, and change it there. Now when there's any speed set in Mach 3 (other than zero), it changes the value in the galil control to a negative number. The galil needs a number from 1 to 10, representing a percentage of  of max speed (10=max), so negative numbers, or out of range numbers, won't work. Is there a place in Mach 3 that I can put in a formula to convert the Mach 3 input into numbers that work for the galil / vfd? Do i have to do this in the galil control software, or maybe the vfd? It seems that having the galil recognize input for the spindle is a definite step in the right direction, but having it out of parameters doesn't help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One other quick question: When I toggle the "soft limit" button to on, my machine will only jog an axis in one direction ( hitting X+ or X- moves the tool to X- : same with y & z), even when I'm far from the soft limit setting. Jogging with the button off is fine. What's that about?

Thanks, Alex.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Galil & Mach 3 spindle speed control
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »
Alex,
Changing the motor type from servo to reversed servo (or vice cersa) in the motor type box for the servo axis on the axis setup page of the plugin should accomplish what you want.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
Thanks Kenny - it did give me control of the spindle, but I can't figure out how to get the speed correct. Setting Mach 3 to 2,000 rpms gets me a -2 in the Galil control. For my machine, it needs to be around 5 ( tachometer en route). I tried adjusting the pulley settings, but it made no difference to the actual speed. Any help? Thanks, alex.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
I think we need to put in a few more config options for VFD spindle control.  Like a max RPM of the motor and the value to drive it there.  I'll work on it and get you a new plugin.  PM me with you email address and I'll send you one to try out.

Steve