Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:09:15 AM

Author Topic: Does this screenshot mean that pins 12 & 13 are fried on my PC??  (Read 27821 times)

Does this screenshot mean that pins 12 & 13 are fried on my PC??  Nothing is hooked up to the port yet.  I'm running normally closed x--(11), y--(12), z++(13), and [x++ y++ z-- in series].

Why, with nothing hooked up, would my led indicators not light up on m2--limit, m2home, m3++limit, and m3home?

Thanks,
Rooney

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Does this screenshot mean that pins 12 & 13 are fried on my PC??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
Certainly looks like it if you have nothing connected at all, could be a dodgy cable though if you have that connected.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks Hood,

Nothing connected at all.   :(  Will have to try the installation on another pc I have in the house.  Though this one will suffice as a replacement for that one.

Thanks again,
Rooney
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »
Hood,

I don't want to sound like I don't like your answer.  But, I have been thinking about it and since I have my state set as active high, doesn't that mean that those particular pins are seeing a 5 volt reading?  If so, how could that be if they are smoked?  I am going to pull a pci parallel port card out of another computer tonight and try it, but I sure am befuddled by this.  It could be, however, that my lack of computer hardware knowledge is where my confusion stems from. :)

Thanks,
Rooney
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:12:41 PM by rooney »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »
I often cant get my head around things so dont worry about not believing me because I dont believe myself 99.99% of the time ;D
What I see is that all the LEDs for Home/Limit should be lit because you dont have them grounded. The ones that are NOT lit seems to suggest to me that they are internally grounded in the port.
 Hopefully you will get the answer with the PCI.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »
Just thinking, make sure you have the correct address set for the port as if you dont it may show weird things.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:20:23 PM »
Thanks Hood,

Switched to different pc that has never had the port used and now this is what I get.   I am running everything normally closed with nothing hooked up to the port.  As you can see, nothing is configured differently.  So why would m1-- amd m1 home be lighting up?  Additionally my estop on pin 10 is requiring that it be checked to be able to reset.  Nothing is hooked up as I said before.  Could I be having troulbe with whatever version I am trying to run?  It is Mach3 version 3.042.020.     

On, maybe, the same note........I cannot find, when I open Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device manager..........any expandable category called "ports".

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:25:31 PM »
I would say that is your problem, because you have the address for the port set to a non existant port then whatever you see will not be real.
 To test this theory out go to device manager and uninstall the Pulse Engine then start Mach and try again, that should put you in simulation mode and it should work fine.
 Did you try with the PCI card? If so did you get the correct address for that card?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
While lookin at the parallel port card I realized that the (replacement aformentioned and current pc's ) card is not your regular pci slot type of card.  It is shorter in both slot and card length.  So, I didn't switch it, but I am, however, using it.

Question is: how does uninstalling the pulse engine fix my problem as I will have to have it installed to run the drivers and motors?

Will let you know on the results of the pulse engine uninstall.

Thanks for the response, Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
Uninstalling it will put it in simulation mode and will (should ) let you see if it works as expected. As you say however it wont be useable for a machine so it is just a test.
 If it then works as expected then it is likely that the reason you are getting the problem is because you have the port address asigned wrongly.
Hood