Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:15:40 AM

Author Topic: Brain Refresh Rate  (Read 8254 times)

Brain Refresh Rate
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »
What is the refresh rate of a brain? Brains are said to run fast, but how often do they run?
Re: Brain Refresh Rate
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:30 AM »
That really depends on whose brain you're talking about.  I know mine runs slower and slower as I get older....  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:28:07 AM »
10Hz I seem to recall.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
Is there a way to confirm the 10 Hz rate? Second question would be is there any way to change the refresh rate, which I am guessing there is not. I wrote a brain to detect a count difference on two encoders to detect racking of a gantry and then e-stop if the difference is greater than a given amount. Works great except that the gantry may be travelling at 10 inches per second. If the brain refresh rate is 10 Hz, that means the gantry will rack by an inch before the brain issues the e-stop.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:47:50 AM »
No way to change it as far as I know, I will ask Art what the refresh is for sure.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:10:42 AM »
10Hz I seem to recall.
Hood

10Hz is for the Macropump.

As far as I understand, the Brains run at KHzs or 10s of KHz, possibly even faster.

That was the big improvement over the macropump.

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:24:22 AM »
Brains runs with the update loop of Mach3, currently 10hrtz,  in reality the Macro pump runs about 4 - 8 hrtz (even though it should also run with machs update loop). The difference being that the Brains are kinda run like a plugin in a way.

also, brians are a "state" machine type, ie, if you bring in an input that maps to the Estop, and that external estop is pushed, then it will push your Mach3 estop.
but, when the button is released externally, and the input goes back to 0, it does not RePush and take the machine out of estop. You would have to toggle your Estop button to get it to repush.  So, in essence the brain looks at changes in single state only. You would have to write other logic in your brain to handle the Estop reseting to stay in synch with your external button, OR, put some Code that always runs in the back ground with your Macropump.

Scott
fun times
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12:14 AM »
Well there you go, I learned something else today. :)
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:20:57 AM »
Yep, confirmed by Art, will be much faster in Rev4 though :)
Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »
Thank you guys for the answers. Thanks Hood for confirming the answer. I will just look forward to version 4. Any idea of when it will be released?