Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:32 AM

Author Topic: Router Pendant - uses the U-HID device.  (Read 12010 times)

Offline Rademacher

•  25 25
  • Give it a try! How hard can it be?
    • View Profile
Router Pendant - uses the U-HID device.
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »
Here's a pendant design I have been working on for a couple of weeks.....finally got it finished today.  I used a device called "U-Hid" to interface the pendant to Mach....it really works slick.  The device emulates a keyboard......Windows(mach3) does not know the difference, it believes you are pressing key on the keyboard ;D

Here is some information about the U-Hid device.....I copied it from their website. www.u-hid.com

What is a HID?

HID stands for Human Interface Device. This is a term used to describe certain types of PC peripheral, usually connected via USB.
Windows and Mac OS support a number of "native" HID devices using in-built drivers. The U-HID board appears as the following HID devices on the PC:

Keyboard
Gamepad (including analog and digital controls)
Mouse
LED outputs

The way in which the board emulates natively-supported devices means it requires no special drivers or host software, with the exception of LED output control.
The board has 50 connections which can be configured to any of these HID device types providing a truly universal interface. For example, you can connect pushbuttons to generate keyboard keystrokes, trackballs to act as a mouse, pedals to act as analog game controller joysticks, or hundreds of other device types. The PC will see all the devices as something it recognises, so all standard applications will work.
The menu headings on the left give more details of each type of device.
Re: Router Pendant - uses the U-HID device.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »
WOW, it is very, very nice, great looking pendant, look very professional.

Will take a look at the link you provided.

I am working on a pendant with a pokeys, which is similar to your device as it simulate keyboard.

Would like to know where did you get the project box.

Great, Jeff
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »
Hey Rademacher,
   That DOES look nice. Getting ready to put one together myself.
You have a joystick AND a MPG ?
Please post another pic when you get the lables on.
  (or is it a secret and you have them memorized) lol
Really cool...Thanks,
RC

Offline Rademacher

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
Jeff,   Thanks, appreciate the comment. The box is a Rose enclosure - www.rose-bopla.com ,   I got this one from Ebay for $6 bucks :)

RC,  if you look real close, you will see the switches are engraved.  The white plate is just plastic....it's just temporary. Once I am happy with the layout, I will cut a new plate from aluminum.   I plan to powder coat it first (black) then engrave through the powdercoat.   It should then be more readable.

I wanted to try both the MPG and Joystick....may drop one in the future.   Seems the joystick is better for covering long distance and the MPG is better for fine alignment.  

Wayne

Offline Rademacher

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
The pendant is for this machine.....it is a Mechmate, built from plans available on the Mechmate website.  I can run my smaller machines from a keyboard, but because of it's size, this one really needs a means to contol it from the spill board.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
Looks great :)
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »
Very nice machine there...Job well done !
Do you have analog pots for the FRO and SRO ?
The MechMate seems to be a fine machine with a substantial following.
I like the basic design.
Thanks,
RC

Offline Rademacher

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »
RC,  I do have analog pots for both the FRO and SRO.   Both are recognized windows, but I have yet to figureout how to get Mach3 to see/use them. I am searching the forums for help....but nothing yet.   I am open to ideas if you can help ;)   I wonder if I will need to develop a plugin to truly harness the power of the U-Hid device.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
What about the MPG, have you got that working in Mach? Seems to me you would need a plugin for analogue, devices such as the PoKeys do.
Hood

Offline Rademacher

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
The MPG is connected to the second parallel port like normal.  Requires extra wires along with the USB connection.....not the best but it works.   

The joystick works fine, I am using the Art's joystick plugin.   I was hoping the joystick plugin would see the feedrate pot as the throttle on a normal joystick, (thought I read that somewhere) but I doesn't seem to work.